25 Encouraging Scripture Verses for When You Are Exhausted

IMG_7403isaiah4031rmWhen I was a university student, I remember those late nights cramming for exams. subsisting on coffee to keep me awake and just running on caffeine and adrenalin to get me through the next day.  I remember when I was a new mom and as much as I loved those late night feedings, holding my tiny newborn and rocking her gently, our nightly routine was leaving me more and more sleep deprived and exhausted.  I thought it would improve a bit when the children got older, but then it was the rush of life and keeping up with schedules, not to mention worries of the day weighing me down more often than not.  Exhaustion, weariness, sleeplessness, constant tiredness…we’ve all experienced it.  Even in the “empty-nesting” years, I find myself tired at times, especially if I’ve overtaxed my muscles doing tasks that are better left for a woman half my age.  Isn’t it encouraging to know that when I have nothing left to give physically and mentally, that God never tires and He gives me strength when I need it?  Let these verses encourage you when you are exhausted.

Matthew 11:28-29  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.   Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

Psalm 62:1  “Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.”

Psalm 4:8 In peace I will lie down and sleep,  for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.”

Psalm 127:1-2  “Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.  Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.  In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for he grants sleep to those he loves.”

2 Thessalonians 3:13  “And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good.”

Romans 12:11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.”

Psalm 46:1  “God is our refuge and strength,  an ever-present help in trouble.”

I Kings 8:56 Praise be to the Lord, who has given rest to his people Israel  just as he promised.  Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave through his servant Moses.”

Jeremiah 31:25 I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.”

Hebrews 12:12-13 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.  Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.”

Isaiah 40:29  “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.”

Psalm 68:35 You, God, are awesome in your sanctuary; the God of Israel gives power and strength to his people.  Praise be to God!”

Romans 8:26-28  “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.”

Colossians 1:29  “To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.”

Psalm 73:26  “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

Galatians 6:9  “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

Hebrews 4:16  “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”

Psalm 119:114  “You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.”

Philemon 1:20  “I do wish, brother, that I may have some benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ.”

Psalm 18:31-32  “For who is God besides the Lord?  And who is the Rock except our God?  It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure.”

Psalm 62:5  “Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.”

Proverbs 3:24  “When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.”

Exodus 33:14  “The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

Psalm 46:10  “He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Philippians 4:13  “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”

Unless stated otherwise all scripture used on Journey Thoughts is from: THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 25 Encouraging Bible Verses - Topical and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to 25 Encouraging Scripture Verses for When You Are Exhausted

1. Debbie says:

I love every scripture that has been written on this page because the scriptures of God has touched the very heart of my soul. I am a living soul because God saw fit to invite me to live on His planet earth for His purpose and His purpose only. I hope not to sound old fashion yet I would like to portray the essence of the meek and weak style of a humble and contrite heart to the lowly and ugly and weak and humble and in prison and forgotten and the left out and the souls that long to be loved by the I AM…the GREAT I AM…THE SOUL WINNER…THE SOUL SEARCHER…THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA THE FIRST AND THE LAST…THE BEGINNING AND THE END…THE I AM OF EVERYTHING…TO HIM I salute and praise and glorify The LOVER OF MY SOUL…MY PROTECTOR OF ALL THE CHRISTIANS WHO BELIEVE AND LOVE HIM AND HAVE FAITH IN HIM…PRAISE GOD…PRAISE HIS WONDERFUL NAME…PRAISE HIS MATCHELOUS NAME…TO HIM BE THE GLORY AND THE HONOUR WORLD WITHOUT END…THE CREATOR MY CREATOR…THANK YOU…THIS HAS STRENGTHENED ME FOR THE DAY AHEAD…LOVE YOU GOD…JESUS…AND THE HOLY SPIRIT…

2. Sara Jules says:

So true! I particularly like Isaiah 40:31.

3. gregory jerome says:

Jehovah is soo good to me I bless His holly name
    I was sooo depressed and have suicidal thought I just read these verses Jesus in His power heal my broken spirit

4. Victoria says:

Thank you so much for putting this together! As a college student I am so tired all of the time! I looked up “Bible verses for the tired” and this came up as a result. It is good to see all these refreshing verses! May God bless you in your work and your rest!

5. Anonymous says:

I too am a college student, I searched “What does the Bible say about exhaustion?” And this came up. I am more tired than I could ever have imagined to be in life, at 18 fit and strong, but as well I may be further away from the Lord than ever. For when I obeyed him, he granted me a miracle, which was only about 5 hours of sleep requirement a night. As long as I can remember, if I slept less than 9, I could not function properly through out the day; this was a true miracle I spent months praying for. As I became more and more busy, I pushed and ignored God in my thoughts, to a scary extent. The further away I am, the more exhausted I feel to the point of just laying in my room, not wanting to go school or talk to anyone, hoping to sleep for days. My point is this, it is true the Lord grants rest and strength. For without him, we are truly nothing but misery and evil. I will fight to come back to the Lord, as I smell sulfur now in such the spiritual state I’m in. Literally, I radiate a strong stench of sulfur. May I be humble enough to sincerely beg for undeserved mercy, faithful enough to give thanks despite the pain I must go through for purification, letting the Lord do His will. As is always the case, in everything. God bless.

• Lidia Diaz says:

I’m a college student too. Will life always be tiring? I trust and know God is powerful, but I don’t think I will last being sleep deprived and tired all the time. I have not been going to church either because college and work absorb my time. I’m desperate for advice or words of wisdom. I know the promises of God are true, but feel I’m doing something wrong. I don’t believe it’s God’s will to be this tired all the time.

• Lynn says:

Lidia, I just want to respond to your comment. I remember being absolutely exhausted when I was going to university. I found, however, that missing church because of my busy schedule was not a wise move. I actually felt more rejuvenated and refreshed to be around God’s people who encouraged me and prayed for me. Also worshipping the Lord allowed me to connect with Him, and that too refreshed my spirit. Ensure that you are getting proper nourishment, not only physically but spiritually as well.

Some other good advice is to see a doctor if you are overly-tired because I found out I was actually anaemic when I was in university and there was a physical cause for my tiredness.

• Danna says:

Praying for you sister.

• Natasha says:

I once was at your state smelling sulfur Jesus will set you free just don’t give up and you are not weak God doesn’t make weak humans we are in his image may God be with you

6. Pingback: I Need a Nap and That’s OK | cjblackston

7. jin says:

I was really tired today and I found this blog post. Thank you for posting this.

8. Becca says:

Thank you for putting this together. I am a nursing student, and finals are taunting me. It’s great to see these scriptures that encourage me while I’m so weary.

9. Monica says:

I am in the ministry and needed to be reminded of this on this Sunday morning. Thank you!

10. Chelsea says:

Thank you for the encouraging bible verses, they are just what I needed!

11. GG says:

Thank you for the scriptures I really needed to read them this morning they renewd me.

12. sheila johns says:

I have been through breast cancer and beat it last radiation treatment June 19th it is now august 16 I am still tired want to go to workshop but it is potluck I didn’t have the energy to clean my house yesterday it is worship not workshop crazy spell check thanks for the encouragement

13. Mia says:

My exhaustion in previous years without relying on HIM caused suffering for others due to lack of discipline in behavorial actions. Now with more responsibility than ever, I have shed the selfishness and asked for help. With prayer back on my mind and my spirituality renewed with my spouse, we are forever relying on GOD when we need mental rest from all the world expects from us. F.R.O.G.- Forever relying in God. Let the little amphibians,those creatures of God,be a reminder.

14. udaypadhye says:

Well..I am from Mumbai and a born again protestant…and actually a dual personality within me…things which might seem offensive might be committed through my hands not regularly but even when my mind is out of control….please please help me overcome this with a solution…in fact as how to how to boost my mental strength through the scriptures of the bible

15. Ginger says:

I am very grateful for this blog and bible verses as i was seeking to find encouragement to share with my children’s ministry team as we are about to have a meeting in a few days , and most of us feel so exhausted and burnt out and ready to just give up this came in right in the nick of time to give assure us that God will give us the strength to continue on journey in his paths. God bless you!

16. Barb says:

Thank you for the summary of bible verses here. It has helped me today!

17. AUGUSTINE FRANCIS says:

I GIVE THANKS GOD FOR MONTIVATING ME.

18. Wesley says:

being a working bachelor and a breadwinner is quite tiresome but I believe that only God can give rest 🙂

19. Jayne says:

I have chosen a path that leads to tons of responsibility, stress and work. I believe God made all this happen because it is His will. There are times when I start to question myself if I am still on the right path, if this is still what God wants for me. I end up feeling exhausted, weary and alone. I keep on thinking and thinking until I get overwhelmed and most of the times my worries would steal away my peace of mind and precious sleep. What’s really magical about it all is I come back stronger every time because deep in my heart of hearts, I know my God will always guide and protect me. I know He will provide and give what is best for me, my family and everyone else around me. In days of sadness and despair, it is God who gives me the will and strength to continue…

20. hannington says:

My heart and soul feels spiritual uplifted I was down and week but I feel motivated, optimistic in all the plans that I have ahead. The Lord has started doing exceedingly abundantly beyond what we pray for.

21. Lynne says:

I just “googled” scripture for those who are exhausted. Crunching prayer time – morning scripture and 10 minutes of silence…I wanted a verse that could penetrate the fatigue and work on my soul while the Advil and coffee eased my aching body. When Lynne Dove popped up first, I felt the guidance of spirit. My name is Lynne and I wear a dove around my neck every day! It is a special gift I received from my sister. It arrived with a card two years ago…it was written to me in the voice of my mother. I am one of her caregivers and shop for her . Mom always says she remembers that she isn’t able to get me birthday gifts and Christmas….my dear sister intervened and sent me a beautiful silver dove! While it reminds me of the spirit daily – I needed more direction this morning. On a time budget. Romans 8: 26-28 is my guide. “For we do not know how to pray as we ought . . . The one who searches hearts knows . . . And intercedes according to Gods will.”
    From one Lynne to another – thank you!

22. Regina Moore-Capell says:

Just found your sight today. Bookmarked it so I can come back again and again. God bless you for this.